Click on the county name below to see the county facts:
Randolph County was created on October 29, 1835, by the last Territorial Legislature from part of Lawrence County. Randolph County was named for John Randolph, a Virginia statesman who claimed to be a descendant of the famous Indian Princess Pocahontas. The county seat is Pocahontas. The landscape of the county is Ozark Mountain foothills with the rich, delta farmland in the extreme southeast. It is said that Randolph County stands with one foot in the hills and one in the rich soil of the delta. The economic base of the county is agricultural with soybeans and grains the principal crops in the delta and cattle ranching in the hill country. Small manufacturers have also added to the economy. Five rivers crisscross through the county, the Spring, Black, Current, Fourche, and Eleven Point that makes good fishing and water recreation. Old Davidsonville State Park features the site of Arkansas’ first post office (1817), and first federal land office (1820), and first courthouse (1815). The Randolph County courthouse is Victorian, Italianate architecture and has a large aluminum seal of the State of Arkansas over the main entry door behind large square fluted concrete columns. The foyer, which runs across the front of the building, contains three large oil paintings depicting aspects of Arkansas history: one is of Indians, another of the Civil War, and the third, which shows road building, includes an old Studebaker wagon. This courthouse faces a sunken garden with benches, landscaped shrubs, and several lampposts for night illumination. Approached by means of imposing steps forty-eight feet wide, the garden dramatizes the view of the hill on which the original 1872 courthouse still stands.
Saline County was formed on November 2, 1835, from parts of Pulaski and Hempstead counties. Its name comes from early salt works in the area that supplied salt to all of Arkansas and shipped salt to Tennessee, Louisiana, and east Texas. The salt sold for $1.50 per bushel. The county seat is Benton. The landscape of Saline County is hilly terrain in the north and rolling hills in the south. At one time Arkansas accounted for 97% of the country’s production of bauxite, used to make aluminum and most of that came from Saline County. The ore was discovered in 1887. Ups and downs in the aluminum industry have caused more diversification in the recent years and small manufacturing and service companies have added to the economy of the county. Benton, the county seat, is geographically in the center of the state and within minutes of metropolitan amenities, enjoys the small town comfort along with national forest recreation and natural beauty. The Saline River runs through the county offering good fishing. The Gann Museum of Saline County is composed of large bauxite boulders and contains a collection of antiques and memorabilia on the county’s history. The county courthouse, a stately southern building, has been the setting for several scenes from the 1972 movie “White Lightning” starring Burt Reynolds and using many local residents at extras in the film.
Scott County was formed November 5, 1833 from parts of Crawford and Pope counties. The county was named for Andrew Scott, Judge of the Superior Court of Arkansas Territory and a delegate to the state Constitutional Convention of 1836. The county seat is Waldron. The landscape of Scott County is rugged terrain to rolling terrain in the extreme northwest. The economic base of the county is timber with 82% of the land area in timber of which 62% is U.S. Forest Service owned and 20%is privately owned. Livestock and poultry production along with food processing also helps make up the economic base. Three lakes, Lake Hinkle, Lake Waldron, and Square Rock Lake, offers fishing, swimming, camping and a variety of water recreation. Blythe’s Museum houses a collection of Indian artifacts and items from the city. Scenic Highway 71B winds down into Waldron, where the county park is located and offers swimming, tennis, softball, and Little League contests. Scott County is well known for its wholesome family entertainment with lots of mountain music. The stately old courthouse, with mistletoe growing in the trees around the courthouse, houses early history of the county and is now undergoing restoration. The new courthouse built in 1996 is the seventh building to house the seat of county government in Scott County. Three of the seven courthouses were destroyed by fire.
Searcy County was created in 1838, from a part of Madison County and was named for Richard Searcy, a pioneer in Arkansas Territory. The landscape of Searcy County is rugged Ozark Mountains. Marshall is the county seat. The Buffalo River, one of the last free-flowing rivers in mid-America, angles across the county with huge limestone bluffs surrounding the clear blue water of the stream. The Hurricane River Cave has been continuously occupied since ancient times and features a crystal clear underground river flowing its entire length. Blowing Cave near Marshall has a long corridor where the wind always blows on its way to the surface from a “bottomless pit.” Searcy County is proud of its own and celebrates each year with a Buffalo River Days Festival, where arts and crafts and a variety of entertainment are offered. Many visitors pass through Searcy County each year enjoying the beauty and the hometown atmosphere. It is said, that if you enjoy a place of clean streams, clear air, deep caves, tall forests, river bottom farms, and mountainside ranches, you need to visit Searcy County.
Sebastian County was formed on January 6, 1851, from parts of Crawford, Scott and Polk counties and was named for William K. Sebastian, a Judge, State Senator and U.S. Senator from Arkansas. The landscape of Sebastian County is rolling farmlands, forested ridges, isolated mountains and lakes. The county seats are Fort Smith and Greenwood. The economic base is strong and diversified with manufacturing, service industries, timber, agriculture (beef, dairy, spinach, turnip greens). A strong oriental community brings a variety of influences, businesses and restaurants. The Westark Community College offers a four-year degree through the University of Arkansas. Fort Smith’s arts center, community theater, and symphony further enrich the cultural life of the area. The stately limestone courthouse in Ft. Smith, which contains 254 rooms, houses early history of the county. Among several markers on the courthouse grounds is a statue of a Confederate soldier, on top of a pedestal nearly three stories tall that stands with its back toward a national cemetery a few blocks away from where it was originally planned to stand. The United States Secretary of War at the time refused to consent to the words “Lest we forget.” The Confederate veterans and citizens who raised funds to erect the monument would not agree to the omission, and the statue was placed on the courthouse lawn. The Greenwood Courthouse, a more modern structure, is a living part of the community. On April 19, 1968, this building’s predecessor shared the fate of much of the rest of this county seat when it was demolished by a tornado. A bronze plaque on the present building demonstrates the determination of county residents with the words “This building embodies the continuous spirit of Sebastian County as its courthouses have risen from ashes and other disasters since the county was created in 1851.” The flag of the City of Greenwood is flown along with the Arkansas and American flags in front of the courthouse.
Sevier County was created on October 17,1828, by the Territorial Legislature from parts of Hempstead and Miller counties and was named for Ambrose H. Sevier, a territorial delegate to Congress who was influential in winning statehood for Arkansas in 1836 and became Arkansas’ first U.S. Senator. DeQueen is the county seat. The landscape of the county is rugged terrain in the extreme north and rolling hills in the south. The economic base of the county is made up of timber, poultry processing plants, livestock production, cattle, poultry, swine, and some light manufacturing. Sevier County is also known as the Land of the Lakes because it sits in the midst of a complex of reservoirs in both Arkansas and Oklahoma. Sevier County residents have water recreation within a half-hour’s drive in nearly any direction. DeQueen Lake is a clear, clean, mountain lake in the foothills of the Ouachita Mountains and offers swimming, water-skiing, diving, camping and fishing. Lake Millwood is well known as one of the best fishing lakes. Dierks Lake has fishing, boating, picnicking, camping, swimming and sightseeing. Five rivers and mountain streams touch or cross the county. The Cossatot River is well known for floating, kayaking, and bass fishing. The Historical Society’s museum covers the county’s early history from 1828 to 1940. The stately courthouse building also houses lots of the county’s history. Many visitors pass through Sevier County each year enjoying the scenic beauty and the many waters of the county.
Sharp County was formed in 1868, from a part of Lawrence County and was named for Ephraim Sharp who was a member of the State Legislature representing Lawrence, Randolph and Greene counties when the new county was formed. The landscape of the county is rolling hills in the foothills of the Ozark Mountains. Crystal River Cave opened for tours in the 1930’s, and many people from eastern Arkansas built cabins along the Spring River, where the beauty of the foothills is all around. The Harold E. Alexander Wildlife Management Area has public land fronting the Spring River available for recreation and overnight use. Hunting is allowed in designated places. The economic base of the county is agriculture; cattle, broilers, hay, and watermelons, and some light manufacturing with tourism being number one. Part of the working people in the county commute to nearby Batesville. Cherokee Village, a long established resort-retirement community, is very active, as well as Hardy Old Town, which is located downtown and dates back to the early 1880’s and features numerous quaint antique and gift shops. Hardy and Evening Shade served as the two courthouses until 1964 when the new courthouse was built in Ash Flat.
St. Francis County was formed in October 1827, by the legislature of the Arkansas Territory, taking a part of Phillips County. It was named for the St. Francis River that flows across it. The landscape of the county is rich, flat farmland in the eastern and western halves and rolling hills in the center. The county seat is Forrest City. St. Francis County dependent on rural agriculture now has light manufacturing to help its economy. Crowley’s Ridge that runs through the county is noted for growing peaches and other fruit crops. The Arkansas Community College and the Crowley’s Ridge Vo-Tech both are located in the county and are continuously working toward upgrading the skills of the work force. St. Francis County is at the crossroads of eastern Arkansas. Both railroads and major highways lead east to Memphis, west to Little Rock, north to Jonesboro and south to Helena. Village Creek State Park has become the region’s top recreational place with almost 7,000 acres on the St. Francis-Cross County line. Facilities include two fishing lakes, rental boats, trails, campsites, tennis courts, ball fields, swimming, and duck hunting. The courthouse is a 1972 contemporary structure and is located on the hill that was the site of Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest’s camp while he was in charge of building the railroad from Little Rock to Memphis. The courthouse is known for its extensive use of large seals. The great seal of St. Francis County and the seal of the centennial of Forrest City, 1870-1970, both of which are three feet in diameter, are located in the foyer of the courtroom wing of the building. A three-foot brass seal of Arkansas dedicated to Judge R. B. MCCullough, Sr., by his son, Judge Richard McCullough, is filed above the bench in the Chancery courtroom. A three-foot Great Seal of the County Court of St. Francis County hangs over the bench in the Circuit courtroom.
Stone County was created April 21, 1873, from parts of Izard, Independence, Searcy and Van Buren counties and was named for the abundant rock formations of the area. The county seat is Mountain View. The landscape of the county is rugged Ozark Mountains. Stone County is known for two major assets: its mountainous beauty and the culture of its mountain folks. The economic base is poultry, livestock, wood products, and light manufacturing along with tourism. The countryside is as unique as the people. The Ozark National Forest and the Blanchard Spring Caverns are poplar in the area. The Caverns, known as the cave discovery of the century and one of nature’s outstanding works of art is still in the process of formation and includes the world’s largest flow-stone formation. Two trails guided by knowledgeable Forest Service guides are open to visitors, The Ozark Folk Center is a unique state park. A 637-acre site has an 80-acre entertainment and cultural history complex devoted to preserving Ozark crafts, music, and heritage. It features a lodge, swimming pool, picnicking sites, hiking trails, arts and crafts displays, conference facilities, a restaurant, and a 1,000 seat music auditorium. Every corner of Mountain View rings with mountain music. Many visitors come to Mountain View each year to relax and enjoy the area where the countryside is as unique as the people.
Union County Courthouse
Van Buren County was formed November 1833, from parts of Conway, Independence and Izard counties. The county was named for Martin Van Buren who was Vice President of the United States at that time, and Van Buren County was the 29th county of the State of Arkansas. The landscape of the county is rugged and mountainous in the north and rugged to rolling terrain in the south. Clinton is the county seat. The courthouse that has dimensions of only 100’ x 43’ is Arkansas’s smallest courthouse in number of square feet of covered ground. The building was originally constructed under the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works program but was remodeled in 1973. The economic base is small industry, cattle farming and tourism. The beauty of the Ozark Mountain with its waterfalls, natural bridges, and underground caverns are unique. The nationally known “Natural Bridge of Arkansas” is 100 feet long, 50 feet high and 4 feet thick. The bridge was actually used as a roadway until after the turn of the century. The Gulf Mountain Wildlife Management Area lures the hunter, the stream fisherman, nature lover and camper. The Brock, the Driver Creek, and the Little Red River areas offer hunting and camping. The most populous area of the county is Fairfield Bay, with more than 4,000 people. Greers Ferry Lake’s, 40,000 acres of water offers boating, skiing, swimming, fishing and hunting is a popular area with thousands of visitors each year. The popular Sugar Loaf Mountain is an uninhabited island refuge for plant and animal life. An award winning hiking trail winds its way from the water’s edge to the mountain summit. Van Buren County is a unique place.
Washington County was formed by action of the Territorial Legislature in October 1828, from part of Crawford County and a tract known as Lovely’s Purchase. It was named for George Washington. The county seat was first called Washington but since Hempstead County already had a Washington community, the name was then changed to Fayetteville. A beautiful view of the courthouse rising above the U.S. courthouse and Fayetteville skyline can be seen from Mt. Sequoyah. The landscape of the county is flat-topped mountains and valleys with hardwood forests south and east with rolling hills and prairie in the northwest. Washington is the second most populous county in Arkansas and one of the fastest growing. Essentially an urbanized county, Washington boasts a rich cultural life and amenities connected with metropolitan areas. Still, the county leads the state in dollar value of agricultural products produced annually, especially poultry and beef cattle. The economy is well balanced among agriculture, retail and service establishments, industry, and public institutions. The University of Arkansas is the largest single employer in the region. The University and the Walton Arts Center in Fayetteville and the Arts Center of the Ozarks in Springdale offer theatre, concerts, and other cultural events. Two museums, the University and Shiloh, are located in Springdale and are well-supported historical centers. Popular tourists' areas are Devil’s Den State Park, the White and Illinois rivers, and the Boston Mountains. The scenic spring woods bloom with dogwood, redbud, sarvis, and the flaming fall foliage draws visitors by the thousands. Many arts & crafts' fairs are held in the area also attracting thousands of visitors each year. Grape and apple festivals are also annual attractions for the area. Tourists and locals alike, the elderly as well as the young, enjoy the many things offered in Washington County.
White County was formed in 1835, by the territorial legislature from parts of Jackson, Pulaski, and Independence counties and was named for Hugh Lawson White, a U.S. Senator from Tennessee. The county seat is Searcy. The landscape of the county is rolling hills north and west the foothills of the Ozarks and Ouachitas, and rich, flat, delta farmland in the southeast. The economic base of the county is diversified with row crops of milo, wheat, soybeans, rice; blueberries, and table grapes; livestock, poultry, and coastal Bermuda grass hay; and a wide range of manufacturing and service industries including a Wal-Mart Distribution Center. Harding University at Searcy and Arkansas State University at Beebe, along with Foothills Vo-Tech School at Searcy draw hundreds of students from all parts of the country. White County has many varied recreational opportunities. The Hurricane Lake Wildlife Management Area, and the White and Little Red rivers offer hunting and fishing and water recreation. The White County Courthouse, built in 1871 is said to be the oldest functional courthouse in Arkansas and has an elaborate clock tower that resembles the Liberty Bell and dates back to 1855. A statue located on the southeast corner of the court square honors the Confederate Soldiers. A new statue built of six tons of granite, was recently constructed on the courthouse lawn honoring those soldiers of White County who died in World War I, World War II, and the Korean War, with each soldier’s name inscribed on the monument. A Vietnam War memorial already sits on the courthouse grounds. A fire in the courthouse some years ago necessitated extensive repair, and the courtroom was restored to its original 19th century look with hardwood flooring and oak benches. The entire courthouse is outlined in lights and comes alive in December each year when the Christmas ”Festival of Lights” is observed. Hundreds of tourists visit the area at this time of year.
Woodruff County offers you the quiet, peaceful
living of a small town - clean air and water - a mild climate - outdoor
recreation - good schools - excellent housing and a warm welcome from
some of the friendliest people in the Natural State. Come visit us soon.
*Argricultural Center - Soybeans, rice, corn, wheat, oats and milo are
leading crops. *The Great Outdoors - Unmatched hunting for ducks,
white-tailed deer and other game. *Sports and Recreation - try our golf
courses, tennis and other recreational facilities. *White River -
Convenient access to fishing, hunting, camping and water sports. *Rex
Hancock Wildlife Management Area. *Mosquitofest - McCrory's popular
annual festival offers arts and crafts, bake sales, concessions,
entertainment, games, a community fish fry and contests with a mosquito
theme, held in mid-June.
Yell County was created December 5, 1840, from parts of Pope and Scott counties and was named for Archibald Yell, second Governor of the State of Arkansas. The landscape of the county is rolling farmlands, forested ridges, and isolated mountains and lakes with rugged terrain in the south. The economic base of Yell County is well balanced. Leading industries are connected with production of poultry, hogs, and beef cattle with some small manufacturing. Tourism and recreation activities are very popular in an area full of lakes. The Arkansas River, Lake Dardanelle, Nimrod Lake, Blue Mountain Lake and Kingfisher Lake are poplar with the professional angler as well as the local fisherman. Mount Nebo State Park rises 1,800 feet above the mountain valleys and has cabins, campsites, picnic sites, tennis courts, swimming pool, and hiking trails. Mount Magazine State Park offers camping and picnicking. Petit Jean Mountain and Wildlife Management Area offer hunting and beautiful scenery. The county has dual seats, Danville and Dardanelle. The courthouse at Dardanelle is located on one of the earliest military roads in Arkansas, one named in honor of Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy by act of the General Assembly of 1925. On the east lawn, the statue of a Confederate soldier with a boyish face stands as a memorial to Yell County Confederate veterans.
This page was last updated 12/28/10